Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Fluffy Coconut Macaroons: How to Use Up Egg Whites!

How to use up egg whites? As a traditional foodie trying to maximize the nutrients in my food, I use a lot of pastured egg yolks!  I use egg yolks in smoothies, and in homemade mayo.    Doing this, I accumulate a lot of egg whites!     I don't want to waste them- so here is a fast delicious treat to make with them!  Not to despair,  they are gluten-free, and made with maple syrup and coconut!  No white sugar involved!  

I suggest using pasture raised eggs,  grade B maple syrup because it has more mineral content, and arrowroot powder as a slight thickener- without worrying about GMO's from corn starch or phytic acid from flour, you could alternatively use tapioca flour- another natural phytate-free thickener.




Fluffy Coconut Macaroons


You will need:  

5 egg whites from pastured eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 cups dried organic coconut (unsweetened!)
Parchment paper (otherwise they WILL stick to d your pans!)
Optional: Crispy Pecans or Walnuts (soaked and dehydrated to reduce phytic acid.)


How to Make Coconut Macaroons:

1.  Preheat oven to 300 degrees.  Line baking sheets with parchment paper.

2.  Beat egg whites with salt in a clean bowl until they form stiff peaks. 

3.  Beat in the arrowroot and slowly beat in maple syrup.

4. Fold in coconut-  folding is a technique you need to use to keep the 'fluff" in the egg whites. Add vanilla last, especially if your vanilla has any alcohol in it, because it has a tendency to flatten the fluffy mixture.

 
The coconut I use looks like this
5.  Drop into rounds by spoonful onto parchment. 

Optional:  Top with some crispy nuts.  I prefer the texture combined with some pecans. 

6. Bake for 15 minutes at 300, and reduce heat to 250, and bake for about 20 more minutes.   Until they are no longer liquid, and bounce back when you press them in the middle.  You may need to adjust based on your oven.   If you want them crispy (I prefer them fluffy and bouncy)  you can continue to dry them at 200 degrees for another 30 minutes, but they might be too crispy for your liking, so I'd stick with the original time.

Store in an air tight container. Enjoy!

-Nourishing Creations-

Posted at the  Hearth and Soul Blog Hop and  Real Food Wednesdays Real Food Wednesdays at Kitchen Kop, and  Pennywise Platter.

7 comments:

Aspiring Foster Mama said...

Yum!!

a moderate life said...

Hi Elizabeth! Don't you just love it when you can find ways to use up what might get dumped? I always loved meringues but they can have a lot of sugar in them, so this idea of using yummy coconut in the eggwhites is great! Thanks so much for sharing this on the hearth and soul hop. I am now following your tweets and I added you to the hearth and soul hop daily twitter list, so look for updates of the hearth and soul hop daily in your tweet feed which will share ALL of your weekly posts with all the hop members on twitter and beyond! All the best! Alex@amoderatelife

Nourishing Creations said...

Hey Alex! That is awesome, thanks so much!! Can't wait to be in the twitter loop :)

The Davidson Den said...

Can't wait to try these!!! I love all things meringue AND all things coconut, so I'm bound to adore this recipe, right?! Thanks for sharing!

Nourishing Creations said...

I'm sure you will enjoy them!! I also love all things coconut!

Aspiring Foster Mama said...

Making these for the 3rd time tonight, so good!! We dipped the bottoms in melted dark chocolate for an extra treat and they were unbelievable.

Amanda said...

I just made these and they were SO good! I made half of them on my metal cookie sheet with a silpat (they came out perfect with the 15 min +20 min.) My second half was on a stonewear cookie sheet with parchment. They needed an additional 15 min before they got brown. But they were also on a high rack at first, so I don't know if that was more the difference? I'm not an experienced baker.

Regardless they are perfect!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...